Prince Harry, Meghan Plan Extended UK Return After Six Years

Cover image from bbc.co.uk, which was analyzed for this article
The couple is moving back to Britain after six years in the US, with reports on family reactions and political commentary from both sides.
PoliticalOS
Thursday, August 20, 2026 — Politics
The reported return centers on proximity to King Charles and British schooling for the children, yet leaves security arrangements and the couple’s long-term status unresolved. Most details rest on unnamed sources and have not been independently verified by public records or direct statements.
What outlets missed
No outlet supplied independent confirmation of school enrollment or property arrangements, both described only through unnamed sources close to the couple. The precise security provisions for the return stay unspecified, despite repeated emphasis on the issue as a prior barrier. Coverage gave limited attention to the couple’s retained US and Portuguese properties, which indicate the move is framed as an extended stay rather than a permanent relocation. Political commentary linking the decision to US election timing appeared in one account but lacked direct sourcing from the Sussexes or their representatives.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle intend to return to Britain later this month for an extended stay, bringing their children to live at a private residence outside London while the couple keeps their California home and a property in Portugal. The move ends six years in the United States and places the family near King Charles III, who is undergoing cancer treatment.
The couple informed the King only on Sunday that they would relocate, even though they had visited him at Highgrove House in July. Charles welcomed the prospect of more private time with his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren, according to multiple reports citing royal sources. The children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, are already enrolled in British schools that begin in September. No change is planned to the couple’s status as non-working members of the royal family.
Prince William and Princess Kate have also been told of the plans. Relations between the brothers have remained distant since the Sussexes stepped back from royal duties in 2020. Harry has previously said he wants reconciliation with his father but has described tensions with his brother in his memoir and interviews.
Security arrangements remain unresolved. Harry has long argued that the family requires state protection on visits to Britain, a request rejected after he ceased to be a working royal. The July visit occurred without agreement on that point. A Home Office statement said decisions rest with the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures.
The couple will continue commercial work, including Meghan’s As Ever brand and Harry’s Invictus Games commitments. Reports differ on whether political tensions with the current US administration played any role; family proximity and schooling appear as the most consistently cited factors across British media accounts. Harry and Meghan have not issued a public statement.
More in Politics

Data Center Opposition Tests AI Ambitions in Midterms
Opposition to AI data centers over rising electricity costs, water use, and environmental concerns is emerging as a key issue in battleground states. Candidates from both parties are campaigning against them, with some governors imposing restrictions. Related AI policy debates include bipartisan signals on infrastructure and China competition.

Voter Worries Over Prices and Debt Shape Midterm Positioning
Voters in key races express anxiety over high prices, US debt levels, and affordability, with data centers and tariffs adding to concerns. Democrats and Republicans are positioning on these issues in a cycle reminiscent of past wave elections.

Supreme Court Lets Trump Continue White House Ballroom Build
Chief Justice allowed construction of the $400 million ballroom to continue despite ongoing legal challenges. The decision drew praise from the administration and criticism from opponents over executive spending.

US National Debt Exceeds $40 Trillion for First Time
Bipartisan spending on defense, entitlements and interest pushed the gross federal debt past the milestone. Both parties face renewed pressure ahead of midterm elections.
The Compass
You just read five takes on one story.
What's your take? Find your political shape in a few minutes.
Take the test