Three Dead, Seven Wounded in Idaho In-N-Out Shooting

Cover image from nypost.com, which was analyzed for this article
At least three people were killed and several injured in a mass shooting at a newly opened In-N-Out restaurant, with the suspect also reported dead. Law enforcement from multiple agencies responded to the incident.
PoliticalOS
Sunday, August 2, 2026 — Politics
The shooting remains under active investigation with no confirmed motive or final casualty total. Official statements and witness observations provide the only verified details available so far, and further information depends on police and FBI findings.
What outlets missed
No outlet established whether the suspect acted alone or had prior contact with any victims. The precise sequence of shots inside versus outside the building remains unverified beyond witness descriptions. Hospital updates on the condition of the seven injured were not released after initial transport. In-N-Out’s internal security measures at the new location were not detailed by any source. The total number of rounds fired could not be corroborated across reports.
Twin Falls, Idaho, a city of roughly 56,000, confronted sudden loss on a summer Saturday when gunfire erupted inside a newly opened In-N-Out Burger. Three people died and seven others suffered injuries, some critical, according to city spokesman Josh Palmer. The suspected shooter, an unidentified man, was later found dead near the restaurant.
Police received the first report of an active shooter inside the dining area around 2:30 p.m. on August 1. The restaurant, which opened July 24 as the chain’s fourth location in the state, sits in a busy shopping plaza on Blue Lakes Boulevard North. Chief Matthew Hicks described the response as chaotic while confirming that the immediate threat had ended. The FBI joined the investigation.
Palmer said the victim count could rise and that names would remain withheld until families were notified. Hicks told reporters that investigators were interviewing hundreds of witnesses and had not yet established a motive. The shooter’s body was located outside the building; authorities have not confirmed whether the death was self-inflicted.
Witnesses described rapid confusion. Lane Koehn, 34, said he saw a person with an AR-style rifle emerge from the drive-thru and another man return fire with a pistol. Koehn and others helped move an injured employee until paramedics arrived. Nayeli Rodriguez, 40, of Burley, was inside with her daughters when shots sounded from the kitchen; an older man shielded them as they fled. Haley Dodaro, 43, was in the drive-thru line when people began running and screaming.
In-N-Out president Lynsi Snyder issued a statement expressing grief for the slain associate and customers. She said the company would support affected families and employees while cooperating with police. Nearby businesses, including a Chick-fil-A and the Magic Valley Mall, closed or locked down temporarily; shelter-in-place orders were later lifted.
St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center received multiple patients and coordinated with responders. The Perrine Bridge and surrounding roads reopened by evening. Officials continue to examine video and statements to determine how the shooting began and whether the gunman targeted anyone specifically.
More in Politics

Data Center Opposition Tests AI Ambitions in Midterms
Opposition to AI data centers over rising electricity costs, water use, and environmental concerns is emerging as a key issue in battleground states. Candidates from both parties are campaigning against them, with some governors imposing restrictions. Related AI policy debates include bipartisan signals on infrastructure and China competition.

Voter Worries Over Prices and Debt Shape Midterm Positioning
Voters in key races express anxiety over high prices, US debt levels, and affordability, with data centers and tariffs adding to concerns. Democrats and Republicans are positioning on these issues in a cycle reminiscent of past wave elections.

Supreme Court Lets Trump Continue White House Ballroom Build
Chief Justice allowed construction of the $400 million ballroom to continue despite ongoing legal challenges. The decision drew praise from the administration and criticism from opponents over executive spending.

US National Debt Exceeds $40 Trillion for First Time
Bipartisan spending on defense, entitlements and interest pushed the gross federal debt past the milestone. Both parties face renewed pressure ahead of midterm elections.
The Compass
You just read five takes on one story.
What's your take? Find your political shape in a few minutes.
Take the test