Trump Signals More Strikes as Iran War Reaches 145 Days

Trump Signals More Strikes as Iran War Reaches 145 Days

Cover image from washingtonexaminer.com, which was analyzed for this article

Trump signaled further military action against Iran as the conflict entered its 145th day with ongoing strikes and shipping route concerns. Bipartisan hearings and reactions focused on costs, diplomacy options, and regional fallout.

PoliticalOS

Wednesday, July 22, 2026Politics

3 min read

The central unresolved question is whether either side will accept limits on Strait of Hormuz control without further escalation. Daily costs now exceed $37 million while 18 U.S. troops have died and global energy prices continue to rise.

What outlets missed

Several outlets omitted the specific CENTCOM rationale that Iran had attacked more than 30 commercial vessels in the strait over three months. Coverage rarely noted the exact supplemental funding figure of $67 billion or the $75 billion in prior unobligated funds still available. Few reports examined the Pickaxe Mountain facility or the administration’s stated intent to strike it. Iranian state-media claims of hitting “child-killing” U.S. bases appeared without parallel U.S. statements on the same incidents. The 18 confirmed U.S. deaths were sometimes presented without the context that independent tallies from AP and Al Jazeera matched the Pentagon count.

Reading:·····

Global oil shipments face renewed risk as the United States and Iran trade strikes for the 11th straight night. The conflict, now in its 145th day, has killed 18 U.S. service members and disrupted 20 percent of world oil traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

U.S. Central Command reported strikes on Iranian military operations centers, aircraft hangars, drone facilities and logistics sites. Iran responded with drone and missile attacks on U.S. positions in Kuwait, Jordan and Bahrain. On July 17 an Iranian strike on Jordan’s Muwaffaq Salti Air Base killed three U.S. soldiers; a fourth died in Iraq while handling an Iranian drone. The Pentagon has requested an additional $67 billion to replenish munitions after spending $37.5 billion so far.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio told Southeast Asian counterparts that Washington remains open to talks but will respond if Iran continues attacks on shipping. President Trump said Iran wants to meet “desperately” yet warned that meaningful negotiations must occur or strikes will continue. He also said U.S. intelligence would soon target an underground site known as Pickaxe Mountain if Israeli reports of hidden centrifuges prove accurate.

At Senate hearings Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth defended the campaign and clashed with Democrats over funding and strategy. Senators questioned whether the administration has a plan to reopen the strait or end the fighting. Iran has demanded toll authority over the waterway; the United States rejects that claim as a violation of freedom of navigation.

A June 17 memorandum of understanding that paused strikes for 60 days collapsed after Iran fired on tankers using routes outside its approved lanes. Both sides now accuse the other of bad faith while oil prices have climbed above $90 a barrel.

The Compass

You just read five takes on one story.

What's your take? Find your political shape in a few minutes.

Take the test